get_iplayer 2.94-184-gbf6d7eb-ppa23p6 - deprecated options

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Sun Jun 12 12:45:09 PDT 2016

On 9 June 2016 at 14:24, Kevin Lynch <klynchk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed my get_iplayer has started  throwing these error
> messages, which I "fixed" by commenting out the lines in the files.
>
> WARNING: Deprecated option in /var/lib/get_iplayer/options: 'rtmpdump
> = /usr/bin/rtmpdump'
[repeated messages deleted]

the messages relating to options in /var/lib and /etc should disappear
in the next couple of days when I get around to pushing the
corresponding updates to the ppa.

> The message that concerns me is
>
> WARNING: Deprecated option in /home/kevin/.get_iplayer/options: 'aactomp3 = 1'
>
> which means my files will no longer be converted to mp3. Did I miss
> the discussion somewhere that concluded conversion to mp3 would be
> removed?

If there was a discussion, I missed it too.

But I'd argue that gip's purpose is to download files - and not to
transcode them.  there are other (usually better) tools for that. (the
problem with including conversion to other formats is that everyone
wants something different, and before you know it you implement all
the options some transcoding tool gives you, making gip excessively
complex.)

> What is regarded as best practice to create mp3 files today? I suspect
> AAC is now the preferred format

It's more that AAC is the native format, rather than preferred, but...

you could use the command option to call ffmpeg on your downloaded
files to transcode into any format you fancy.  See
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/documentation#custom-commands
for some suggestions.

Hope this helps,
Jon