Refresh of podcast failing on Windows 10

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Jul 30 21:44:50 PDT 2016

On Sun Jul 31 03:47:45 BST 2016, I wrote:

> so what is really going on there?

... Well, I don't have a clue about those "^M"s
at the end of the lines of your Windows log,
but AFA your original issue is concerned,
I really should've checked with the issue tracker
prior to posting - here is the whole story
from the one and only expert:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/issues/271

So the reasons for this bug are two:
1. BBC switching their .rss feeds to HTTPS
(but I have checked that plain HTTP - which does not
redirect to HTTPS - still works,
e.g. http://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/p02nrtyg.rss )
2. LWP::Protocol::https v6.06 perl module
included in the miniPerl 5.24.0.1 package
distributed with the latest 2.95.1 windows installer
has a broken dependency.

The reason my "podcast.cache" refresh is
succeeding (as posted earlier in the thread)
is because my custom installation is using the
previous  miniPerl 5.18.2.2 package (included
in 2.94.0 windows installer) which contains
LWP::Protocol::https v6.04 and whose dependency
is not broken!
Once I upgraded from miniPerl 5.18.2.2 => 5.24.0.1
I, too, became aware of the issue.

First suggested fix (set HTTPS_CA_FILE envvar)
works OK on my x86 Vista OS.
Podcast support has been deprecated in GiP 2.95,
but do check #271 for any other future solution...

(Perhaps the HTTPS_CA_FILE
envvar could be edited-in
the get_iplayer.cmd file,
something like:
set HTTPS_CA_FILE="%GIP_INST%\perl\lib\Mozillla\CA\cacert.pem"
but, as proven, little do I know :-( )

Happy Sunday all,
Vangelis.