get_iplayer downloads .ts files

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Wed Jul 20 14:19:38 PDT 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 08:02, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had --raw in the command. I had that because the --help parameter gives
> that --raw results in "RTMP->FLV". It used to do so, but it no longer does
> so i.e. it gives a .ts which is not obviously processable in terms of
> editing.

from the release notes
(https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release295):

3. New default streaming formats

TV

HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) is now the default format for on-demand TV
HLS downloads are MPEG-TS (transport stream) files, which can be
played by most media players. The files are re-muxed to MP4 by default
to make them palatable to AtomicParsley for metadata tagging.
Downloading with --raw will produce MPEG-TS files.
RTMP (Flash) format is temporarily still available with
--tvmode=flash. The previous default setting is available with
--tvmode=flashbetter.

and from get-iplayer --help:
 --raw                            Don't transcode or change the
recording/stream in any way (i.e. RTMP->FLV, HLS->MPEG-TS)

> ...it gives a .ts which is not obviously processable in terms of
> editing.

well, .ts files are most definitely processable and editable, and
avidemux claims to work with .mp4 and .ts files, but I don't use it
and can't really comment.

I'd suggest you just don't use the --raw option: the transcoding that
get-iplayer does just puts the video and audio streams into a more
manageable container (mp4) to make it easier for people to do other
stuff with the files.

Jon