hlshd download speeds

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Jul 14 15:24:37 PDT 2016

From: Vangelis forthnet
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 03:08
>so your assumption inside this thread that your
>2.95-dev snapshot was using ffmpeg to fetch hlshd
>is at fault; please read further down:

Hello Vangelis

Many thanks for the detailed clarification.  I have a vague recollection
that when HLS was first mentioned I tried it and found it to be a lot slower
than Flash.  Maybe that was when get_iplayer was using ffmpeg.  When there
was a problem in February the 2.95 dev version was suggested as a temporary
work around.  I found it to be much faster, so I kept using it.

I have recently been conscious of the expiry of the free upgrade to Windows
10.  I have at last got around to installing the 3-user upgrade to Windows 7
I bought when that first came out, and then moving to 64 bit Windows 10.  I
have now realised it is that which has caused my problem.  I usually
download to an external USB hard disk.  Recent purchases have had a USB 3
interface, although I have been connecting using a USB 2 extension lead to a
USB 2 port.  From what I have been reading it seems that Windows 10 and
Windows 8.1 have problems with USB 3 drives.  In some cases they stop being
recognised after a period of idle time.  I have not had that, but there  is
a really dramatic slowing down.

This morning I downloaded an episode of Forces of Nature to a SATA I
internal disk at 75Mbit/s until it ran out of space on the partition after
750MByte.  I then downloaded it to the USB 3 external disk at 2.5Mbit/s.

What is still puzzling is than when the download is repackaged from .ts to
.mp4 there is no noticeable slowing down, and it is read from and written to
the external disk at what I regard as a normal speed.  Alright it was at
1300fps instead of 2900fps, but that is to be expected because SATA I is 3
times the speed of USB 2, and it doesn't take long anyway.

I then tried downloading another episode to the external hard disk on a
laptop with USB 2 ports running Windows 7.  I used WiFi so it wasn't running
at full speed, but it managed 30Mbit/s.  It seems the problem does not
affect Windows 7.

Best wishes
Richard