Disabling television mode

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:49:27 PDT 2016

On 12 July 2016 at 21:36,  <get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 20:38:02 +0100
> Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A further interesting point, suppose I am running iplayer on my tablet
>> on a bus (I have a license so that is ok).  Is it illegal for someone
>> in the next seat to watch it on my tablet if they don't have a
>> license?
>>

> Is it illegal for a person with no licence to watch a TV from a public
> place if it just happens that a licensed TV is viewable from that
> place? Like outside the ground floor of a house with no front garden,
> from the pavement, and the windows are open.

I don't think that is illegal.  That is because it is the house that
is licensed not the person.  Anyone can watch a tv that is on those
premises.  However as from September the license on a house extends to
anyone living there watching online content wherever they are, but
presumably does not extend to someone living at non-licensed premises
watching online on the tablet of a licensed person.

Colin