Disabling television mode

S Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 07:33:34 PDT 2016

On 12 July 2016 at 14:41, Roger Bell_West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> Even in the options file, that also prevents liveradio, localfiles, or
> podcast modes. And can be casually overridden on the command line.

OK, but seriously why bother going to such lengths. If you're that
paranoid then check your command before hitting enter.

As long as you have a TV license then I highly doubt it would go
anywhere in the law courts if it ever got that far, and I seriously
doubt they will have any real way correlate IP address to house
anyway, without raising thousands of court orders to ISPs.

The BBC doesn't have the capacity/resources to be able to do this (not
on their dwindling budget), or to enforce logins to iPlayer for every
household (imagine the support desk needed to help the partially
computer-literate general populous), so come Sep 1 I can't see any
changes happening at all.

Steve