GIP 2.95 reports as v2.83 in Linux Mint!!!

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Wed Jul 6 04:53:27 PDT 2016

On 04/07/16 23:36, Roger Bell_West wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 07:31:09PM +0100, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
>> On 04/07/16 19:15, Roger Bell_West wrote:
>>> You asked the system to uninstall the package, but not to purge its
>>> configuration files.
>> Oh, so what is the command to do that, please?
> apt-get purge, or aptitude purge.

Ok thanks, done that and it seems to have uninstalled the application
and purged the config files (although v2.83 still seems to live
somewhere in the system as "get-iplayer" when I do a "sudo apt-get
install get-iplayer", heaven only knows where).

However, ignoring that, I'm now trying, without success to install from
the tar.gz file and from the extracted tar.gz ( sudo apt-get install
from the relevant folder....), I'm getting a "cannot find package" error
message (I presume it needs a deb file to work). I've looked up on the
net how to install from a tar.gz and tried a few differing options
without success - indeed there is comment on a number of websites that
this is not for beginners and what seems to work for one program doesn't
work for another. I must admit as a Linux noob this is like pulling
teeth! :-(

So, after going round in circles, please can someone tell what is the
definitive way of installing this tar.gz?

Thanks