get_iplayer currently broken...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Jan 14 08:43:15 PST 2016

On Thu Jan 14 04:39:40 GMT 2016, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> The above is where I got stuck. I got the response:
> 'ffmpeg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file
>
> I was pasting the command in a DOS box,
> initially in the get_iplayer folder,
> then in the subfolder in which  ffmpeg.exe resides.

Hi Alan (in warmer climates, I suspect :-) ).

 My ffmpeg commands for both radio & TV
were tried to work before posting - in x86
architecture, though.

 My commands assume you are using the standard
Windows Command Prompt (not the GiP CLI one),
and that the current working directory is a folder
which contains the ffmpeg.exe binary - this is also where
downloads are saved.
With commands containing these long strings, you have
to make sure no inadvertent linebreaks or whitespaces
are introduced while copy/pasting (windows Notepad
is notorius for that, I always use a proper text editor),
but, of course, your report does not seem to relate
to such an issue...

 On WinVista and higher, you can navigate via
Windows Explorer to the directory which itself
contains the folder with the ffmpeg executable and
while keeping SHIFT depressed , right click on said folder
- in the context menu there should appear an entry
saying: "Open Command Window here";
click that and the CPW should open in the
proper folder...
This is to save you the trouble of first opening
the command prompt and then cd-ing to the
ffmpeg.exe location.

 I can't say why it's not working in your case...
You can amend my commands by including
full paths to ffmpeg.exe and saved media files,
I omitted that for simplicity...
Plus, if you download latest 2.8.4 win32 binaries from zeranoe:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-2.8.4-win32-static.7z
the uncompressed folder contains a batch file
called: "ff-prompt.bat", you can then run that
to issue commands, but the files
will be saved inside the "bin" folder.

On Thu Jan 14 09:30:11 GMT 2016, C E Macfarlane wrote:

> You need to add the path to the ffmpeg program file
> to your system or user path.

Thanks Christopher, but while I can understand the
convenience of doing that, I tend not to...
Plus I keep on disk several different flavours of
ffmpeg binaries of various branches (in different
folders), so I like to know which one I'm running
by navigating to it manually...

I tend not to mess with PATH on Windows, after
some time I forget my custom additions and in the past
I was biting my nails why some things wouldn't work
as I expected - an old forgotten manual entry was
the culprit...
For anyone interested:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/4822435

Regards,