[OT] TOTPs not offered in HD (720p)

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 10:41:53 PST 2016

On 2016-01-11 17:28, Mike Crowe wrote:
> On Monday 11 January 2016 at 16:55:32 +0000, Roger Rarebit wrote:
>> A Raspberry Pi zero £4 can play 1080p60fps.
>
> It's not necessarily the codec that's the problem - it's the
> container. It
> may be able to play such a file from an ISO (MP4) container but not
> from a
> transport stream as captured off-air.
>
> Transport streams are rather inefficient to unpack in software since
> the
> chunks of data are so small. Chips used in set-top boxes have special
> silicon to make this demultiplexing more efficient. (The Raspberry Pi
> uses
> a mobile phone chip so it lacks this capability so it has to demux in
> software.)
>
> Of course, you can remux the file from a transport stream beforehand
> and
> then it will require less horsepower to play.
>
> Mike.

Good idea. Might even be able to make use of the limited power of the
PC to serve the file via uPnP in realtime using something like
ps3mediaserver or some other suitable app (suggestions on a postcard?)
and then just receive the remuxed stream on the rPi.

I see the intro to the TOTP New Year show is in HD. Going to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06t4pq8/top-of-the-pops-new-year ,
I see the "Watch in HD" button below the video player. So why you're not
able to get it through GiP is a mystery to me :)