Odd fetching of radio

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Feb 21 17:41:30 PST 2016

On Sun Feb 21 09:48:47 GMT 2016, Jim web wrote:

> due to the habit of the producers of some programs
> (e.g. 'Feedback' and 'More or Less') to provide
> a 'shortened' version when I fetch using the standard pid.
> (snip)
> The first broadcast and repeat share the same pid
> and both tend to be shortened.

FWIW, you are now able to pinpoint "shortened"
downloaded versions because of 2.95dev commit:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/348bbea

prior to that commit (and in GiP 2.94),
those would just show up as "default" in
the file-prefix.

 The fact you end up with a "shortened" version
probably means no version with longer duration
still exists, because GiP tries by default to first fetch
the longer one - you'd have to provide speficic
pids for further investigation...

 More often than not, both "original" & "shortened"
versions do exist at the same time, e.g.
in the following episode of "More or Less -
Selfies, Sugar Daddies and Dodgy Surveys",
pid=b06zvbwz, if you query:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b06zvbwz -i | grep versions

=> (with 2.95dev) versions:       original,shortened

If for some reason you are after the "shortened" one,
indicate so via "--versions=shortened" in your command...

Best regards,
Vangelis.