Help with Options with 2.96 Please

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 15:12:23 PDT 2016

On 23/08/16 22:08, RS wrote:
>> From: Budge Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 13:39
>
>> Finally, why is the v2.96 default 960x540 at 50fps? What are benefits?
>
> This is what the v2.96 Release Notes say, "The one lacuna filled by
> flash modes is that flashhd mode represents the only alternative to a
> broken hlshd mode for 1280x720 25fps HD TV recordings. If the hls modes
> are not repaired, and the hvfhd (1280x720 50fps) streams are not viable
> for you, now is the time for you to start looking at the hvfsd (960x540
> 50fps) streams as a replacement. This is what the BBC gives you when you
> click "Watch in HD" on the iPlayer site. Who are we to argue?"
>
> As for the BBC, there was an article published about a year ago.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer
>
> It said, "At around 3 Mbit/s a 960x540 profile at 50fps will be made
> available to Connected TVs and set top boxes. The Elemental encoders are
> used to convert the 1920x1080 interlaced content to 960x540 for
> progressive encoding at 50fps. Although the 960x540 profile has a
> reduced spatial resolution compared to the outgoing 1280x720 at 25fps,
> subjective assessments shows it delivers significantly better pictures
> on TV screens across a wide range of popular content (such as EastEnders
> and Top Gear) due to its higher frame rate. The 50fps, 1280x720 profile,
> however, will be available to those with 5Mbit/s broadband connections."
>
> I am assuming the reference to Top Gear is the Clarkson Top Gear.  It is
> not clear to me from that why it is not possible or desirable to have a
> 1280x720 25fps mode alongside the 1280x720 50fps and 960x540 50fps modes.

Hi and many thanks.  I recall reading some of that in the list but at
the time I was still happy with flash and didn't take it in.  I am a
little wiser thanks to you.
It all seems very subjective however and whilst I understand the higher
frame rate might be better for action material it might not be optimal
for A History of Art in Three Colours and similar documentaries.  I
shall have to experiment a bit.

On a good day with both lines working I can get 5MB/s.   I wonder what
will happen when we move to 4K?
Thanks again,
Budge