Good way to run pvr daily with logs

Mark mbailey at cyberdude.com
Tue Aug 23 08:34:36 PDT 2016

I use a headless windows 10 low power box to do nothing but download Radio 4 programs. I don’t trust windows to really be a reliable server, so every night it backs itself up then reboots just for the hell of it.

I have a Batch file that runs on restart that does a bunch of housekeeping things, such as trimming out older log files and restarting get_iplayer pvr. I am a big fan of log files, they are written to my Google Drive so I can keep an eye on things remotely from work.

I start get_iplayer pvr each day with this line in the StartUp Batch file:

   perl\perl.exe get_iplayer.pl --refresh --type=radio > "E:\GoogleDrive\Logs\Start_Giplayer_%curTimestamp%.log" 2>&1

Then I have another Batch file that runs every hour to do the pvr entries. I do it every hour because I am over anxious to get my Radio 4 shows, especially on Fridays when The News Quiz comes out:

   perl\perl.exe get_iplayer.pl --pvr --type=radio > "E:\GoogleDrive\Logs\PVR_%curTimestamp%.log" 2>&1

I suspect I have been doing it all wrong but since this all works fine, why am I bothering everyone? Well 2.95 prompted me to go and look at it all again. I noticed that there were some new .cmd files available.  I could just start the pvr daily by running run_pvr_scheduler.cmd, which is:

   get_iplayer.cmd  --pvrschedule 14400

I tried this and it also works fine, clearly I could adjust the –pvrschedule to  3600 but I have to give up a couple of things I want:

               It sits in an open CMD window which bursts into life every 4 hours
               I would prefer it does its thing trying each pvr entry and then exit
               I can’t seem to redirect the output to create a log file that gives me the information on a shows download

So what is the recommended way from a reboot and batch file run get_iplayer pvr each day that:

               Gives me log files for when it was started and also the details of it downloading a show
               Doesn’t keep a CMD window open any longer than it needs to to check the pvr entries

Or suggestions on a better way to do it if I am plain old just doing it wrong.

Cheers,

mark