Update: Progress and puzzles

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Aug 22 05:26:26 PDT 2016

>From: michael norman Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 11:53

>I have no idea if this helps but I've just installed gip 2.96 and the
>latest FFMPEG on Linux Mint 17.3 (from the PPA's)

>Trying both the Dads Army Episode and the Gergieve prom with in the latter
>case get-iplayer --get 210 tvmode=hlssstd1 I get it in hfdhd1 which works
>fine here in VLC as as mp4 file. Trying hlshd1 fails.  FWIW I am quite
>happy with hfdhd1, I don't know why hls is or might be better, is it
>something to do with the sound bitrate ?

I think you may have an extra s in hlssstd1.  It should be hlsstd1.  For
hfdhd1 I think you mean hvfhd1.  In general it is preferable to omit the 1
or 2 suffix.  If you specify hvfhd it will try hvfhd1 first and if that
fails it will try hvfhd2.  Vangelis has pointed out that hvfhd2 is usually
faster, so it may be better to use --tvmode=hvfhd2,hvfhd1

The reason HLS is preferable to HVF is that it is faster and also has a
1280x720 25fps mode, hlshd.  hvfhd is 1280x720 at 50fps, so the bit rate is
more than twice as high (5.5Mbit/s instead of 2.5Mbit/s).  The best 25fps
HVF resolution is 960x540, hvfvhigh.  hvfhd and hvfsd have a higher sound
bit rate than hlshd.