[ANN] get_iplayer 2.96 released

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Aug 21 15:08:40 PDT 2016

>From: RS Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2016 08:58 I don't think I have ever
>seen a "Failed to download segment" error.

I spoke too soon.  Last night I finally got around to breaking up the
Olympic Eventing Dressage coverage so I could move it to an external FAT32
drive to free some space to download the Cross Country and Show Jumping.  I
was using --tvmode hvfvhigh.  I forgot until after I had started the second
download that Vangelis had told me hvfvhigh2 was faster, so I got hvfvhigh1.
The Cross Country (p0424zw4) was fine.  The Eventing Show Jumping (p04259fq)
had a Failed to download segment error at segment 1000.  get_iplayer said it
was trying to recover.  It appeared to retry the failed segment, without
success.  I don't know how many times it would have retried, but I stopped
it after about three attempts.  I then used hvfvhigh2, and that was fine.
The speed was variable, but it was up to twice as fast as hvfvhigh1.  I
tried to reproduce the error today but couldn't, so it is probably nothing
to worry about.  I was using v2.95, but as far as I can see from the release
notes the handling of HVF errors has not changed.