Audio/Video Out of Sync

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 07:00:46 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:03:20PM +0100, RS wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I find that incredible.  The Mac is sold
> as a machine which allows creative people to create without having to
> bother with technicalities.

And a Ferrari is sold as something that will turn you into a racing god
and attract members of the appropriate sex, even though it actually does
neither. Please don't confuse marketing with reality :-)

As far as I'm concerned a Mac is a good compromise between Unix, doing
A/V playback reliably, and having commercial desktop software available.

>                             If I search for Linux traffic management or
> Windows traffic management I can see that there are programs which do that
> sort of thing, but they are only needed if I want to do clever things like
> running a heavily loaded server where the load has to be balanced between
> processes. I have 5 programs open on my task bar and 58 processes.  Windows
> allocates resources between them as they demand them

OS X does that too. It's just that in this rare case I know better than
the OS does. Exactly the same problem would arise if I used Linux or
FreeBSD or Solaris instead. It's the problem that the --bwlimit option
on rsync exists to solve.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

    If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
    and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.