Audio/Video Out of Sync

George Eycott george at eycott.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 01:05:17 PDT 2016

> base on an unsupported hypothesis that get_iplayer only fetches invalid
> chunks because it is fetching much faster than any real client.

My "unsupported" hypothesis was based on the fact that normal IPlayer users
do not seem to be having (or rather are not noticing) the problem and the
speed of file retrieval was an obvious difference. It may be wrong (and as
further information has come to light, it looks like it probably was wrong),
but at the time I (and others) thought it was worth investigating.

> I offer as a counter example the iPlayer built into my Humax HDR Fox T2
PVR.
> This fetches the programme absolutely as fast as it can, totally saturates
my
> broadband link doing it, and saves it to file. It plays the programme from
the
> file, and provided the fetch proceeds faster than the playback it doesn't
stall.
> But it does nothing to stop the fetch getting way ahead of playback, which
it
> does on my 79mbps downstream FTTC.

But is getting missing segments? Depending on how it treats the file it may
or may not end up with the sync problems so you may not notice the problem.
Of course it may or may not be using one of the problem formats in the first
place. Sadly my broadband (well they call it broadband) is so slow that just
sending this email will saturate it for a noticeable period, I have not
bothered connecting my Humax to the internet, life is too short!

Anyway, thanks to contacts within the list we now know more (or at least we
now know it is an issue that is being looked at) than we did then so indeed,
my hypothesis was incorrect, doesn't mean it wasn't worth testing at the
time though.

Cheers

George