Audio/Video Out of Sync

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 01:21:13 PDT 2016

In article
<trinity-2e47b356-9236-442c-bdf8-473286c8786b-1471290117369 at 3capp-mailcom-bs16>,
   tellyaddict <tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> The sync problems are caused by converting a programme with missing
> segments after download. --raw files have no sync issues even if there
> are segments missing.

I've never tried the --raw option. Might it help with the following?

A number of the files I fetched yesterday morning had reported missing
segments. This specified time offsets in secs. I had a look at those
points.

In some cases there was no sign of a problem. In others the video froze
for, say, ten sec, and when it resumed the video and audio seemed still in
synch. But in other cases the synch was out.

Would the synch offset effect be avoided by using --raw?

If so, what other problems might that give? My first thought might be that
the result would play with something like VLC without any timing. i.e. the
total and elapsed times would be zero and attempts to jump to some point
could cause problems with replay.

My assumption is that the pass though ffmpeg at the end of a fetch is to
tidy up these issues. (It is something I have to do with ts files grabbed
from DVB-T2.) But I am assuming/guessing this.

BTW I did a refetch this morning. The files I had segment problems with
yesterday I got using the modes=flash option and seem fine.

I've also tried mplayer on the hvfhd versions and that fails to find the
audio on some of them, just like vlc!

Jim