Audio/Video Out of Sync

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 08:33:48 PDT 2016

In article
<CALMep07kSjxJktmz6KGKrxgSOo+a462S7YxCTKW6D=97GMw7Rw at mail.gmail.com>, S
Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I think this thread has now ran it's course. Enough of the
> speculation and OT chatter.

Most of this seems very on topic for this list to me. cf below in case you
have missed this...

> The workaround for most users is to use the old flash streams
> --modes=flash

Is it? I fetched about 10 items this morning using the old 'Flash RTMPDump'
method. Most of them show problems due to 'missing segments'. I've been
working though them finding sections where the video freezes for up to 10
sec and, when video resumes, the synch is clearly well out. (Note the title
of this thread if you want to complain about this being 'OT'.)

This is from some Proms during the last week.

So as things stand I get:

--mode=best is the oldest method. Until a few days ago that seemed OK. But
not now. It gives me the above problems.

--tvmode=hlsbest is faster and avoided glitches - when it works - but tends
to end prematurely. (And repeatedly does so on retrys.)

and now the hvfhd method tends to give me files where I get no audio.
ffmpeg tells me that these files are malformed. Although of course these
problems may be down to ffmpeg and vlc (and now mplayer which also can't
find the audio on these files when I installed and tried it.)

If your 'Flash' method differs from mine, please specify the details and
I'll try it. But at present I am spending over an hour per morning fetching
files I then mostly get problems with. From what others have written I
don't seem to be the only person encountering problems.

Jim