Olympics 2016 RedButton content, offered as catch-up

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Aug 11 00:38:07 PDT 2016

(Starting a new thread so the title could be
more visible in the list archives...)

In
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2016-August/009418.html
RS wrote:

> The Sport page is very different.
> There are obvious links to the live programme.
> Those links disappear when the live programme ends.
> It's not at all obvious (to me anyway)
> how to find the catch up,
> which is why I thought it didn't exist.
> I don't know how you found the pages you referred me to.

 On the same note, I was contacted off-list by someone
wanting the links (and pids) for "table tennis" Olympic coverage...

Your starting point for every Olympics 2016
Sports category available as video-on-demand
on the BBC iPlayer site (excluding main channel
coverage) should be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36829922

(Rio 2016 Olympics: Sport-by-sport guides and iPlayer catch-ups)

Say, for example, that you're interested in Tennis
(I know Alan is...).
1. Scroll down to the "More on tennis" link,
but don't follow it - only academic info there; instead:
2. Click the "Relive all tennis coverage from Rio 2016 on iPlayer."
link underneath it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00cpspy

Those are all available currently tennis events as catch-up.
"b00cpspy" is the BrandPID for Olympic Tennis (valid for
all Olympics, running and past).
Click the "Program website" link =>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cpspy

Click the "All previous episodes" link =>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cpspy/episodes/player

Click the "All" tab =>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cpspy/episodes/guide

Place your cersor on "2016 View episodes",
right click and from the context menu choose
"Open link in new tab" (wording may vary
depending on browser) =>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p040q11m/episodes/guide

"p040q11m" is the SeriesPID for 2016 Olympics Tennis events.

get_iplayer --pid=p040q11m --pid-recursive --tvmode=hvfvhigh

will get you all the currently available episodes in 960x540p/25fps
files. Should you opt for the quite larger 50fps files (BTW, those
are true 50fps ones, as can be easily verified in a player with
frame-by-frame playback capacity), then select appropriately
hvfsd (540p) or hvfhd (720p).
Repeat the command at a later time
to download additional episodes added
in the interim (where applicable) ...
Or you can set-up a PVR job, as per:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-996-post-4465.html#pid4465

> Vangelis you're a genius (as always)!

As you can tell, no "geniusness" was involved;
only thorough and methodical searching :-)

Best regards,
Vangelis.