Issues when upgrading to 2.95.2

Timothy tmthywynn8 at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 12:42:09 PDT 2016

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:13 AM, "charlie at the-heards.com" <charlie at the-heards.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> Yesterday I upgraded to 2.95.2 from 2.94 on my Win10 box, using the
> installer. I've since had a few issues and was looking for some
> suggestions. I have searched the documentation and mailing list, but
> couldn't find anything that matched these:
>
> 1. GiP failed to find perl.exe when running from CLI or PVR. Adding
> the appropriate directory to the PATH variable fixed it, but I was
> wondering if I'd missed something.

This seems to be a common issue for people with large path environment variables. Unfortunately, at a best guess, I believe Windows starts to truncate the path at some point. So, when get_iplayer.cmd adds all the needed binary directories to the path, you'll get a response that says something along the lines of "<xxx> was unexpected at this time." Now, all this that was said is predicated on the fact that you used get_iplayer.cmd in the first place, and not your own batch file or command. The only thing that should be in your path environment variable is the path to your get_iplayer installation directory. THat way, you can type get_iplayer from anywhere, and Windows will invoke GiP and add all its prerequisites to the path temporarily.

My suggestion is to clear off all of the duplicated items between your System and User Variables - System taking precedence - and try invoking get_iplayer.cmd again to see if it even works.

> [SNIP]
> WARNING: Required rtmpdump does not exist - cannot download Flash
> audio/video

Yeah, same issue as above - you need to make sure that GiP is ran through the get_iplayer.cmd batch file and that it runs successfully. Alternatively, of course, you can just add all the other directories to your path mentioned in the batch file permanently, then modify it so that all it runs is the line starting with "perl.exe".

Sorry if it's not that great of a message - hopefully Vangelis will chime in with a far better explanation and coherent solution.

Timothy