OT: why were BBC archives deleted or destroyed?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 08:27:51 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 03:52:35PM +0100, Chris Woods wrote:

> I don't think the future will really see any cultural benefit from
> twenty years of Pointless or Gardeners Question Time.

People said the same about Dr Who.

And I'm quite sure that people said the same in the 1830s about the
"penny dreadfuls". Their cultural benefit nearly 200 years later
includes the character Sweeney Todd, but more importantly having access
to a culture's mass entertainment tells us about that culture things
that we wouldn't know if we just looked at what people of quality
enjoyed.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

People from my sort of background needed grammar schools to
compete with children from privileged homes like ... Tony Benn
     -- Margaret Thatcher