How good is HD supposed to be?

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 12:42:06 PDT 2016

"Upscaling" is a misnomer in this context. That implies a change of picture
resolution, when there's no resizing going on. What iPlayer does for the
50p streams is double frame rate deinterlacing, using what looks like a bob
deinterlace technique.

If you watch content originated in 25i, you will (once the stream steps up
to 720p50) see the deinterlaced 50p content and you'll notice immediately
how fluidic motion is - "just like TV", because that's exactly what CRTs
used to do.

25 interlaced frames per second yields 50 interlaced fields per second (due
to odd and even line scanning), with the resultant persistence of vision
effect inducing a pseudo 50 frames per second on viewing as each field's
worth of capture by the camera sensor 'sees' a slightly different point in
time. This renders as smoother motion, with a slight loss of sharpness due
to the low overall temporal resolution, but as it overall appears more
lifelike the eye prefers it.

25psf (progressive segmented frames) is the "filmic" look, where there's
only 25 distinct 'captures' of motion per second; the video simply
'transported' as interlaced. Each field 'sees' its half of the same source
frame. When decoded properly, you get 100% progressive output. However as
this gives you half the temporal resolution, motion is visibly less fluid.

Modern flat panels all deinterlace all interlaced source material to
display a progressive image, but only the higher end panels do quality
deinterlacing (Yadif or similar) Cheaper screens will usually bob
deinterlace (computationally less demanding) and porbably convert to 60p as
their panels and processing will be running internally at 60Hz.

You can even spot some cheap screens doing this as they'll add or duplicate
frames periodically to equal 60 fps from 50 fps source material, or they'll
do weird interpolation which can result in jumpy credits or news ticker
scrolling artifacts.

For an example of 720p50 iPlayer content, watch any episode of EastEnders
(be sure to enable HD), full screen it and wait for the bandwidth to step
up to max - you'll need 5 megabits per second minimum to stream (... Or
just dl it with gip).

For an example of progressive scan material, just about any documentary
(e.g. Horizon) or episode of Click will do. The latest Horizon about dating
is 25 PsF: you can see the deinterlacing 'interline twitter' on high
contrast edges during the programme - an example being the leaves of the
pot plant moving on the windowsill at around 22 minute mark.