Radio 2 50s

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 02:52:58 PDT 2016

Please see below ...

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

But that is not the same as Don's original command ...

>     get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=p03lsql7 --pid-recursive
>     --modes=best --pvr-add="BBC_Radio_2_50s"

... followed by ...

/opt/share/get_iplayer/get_iplayer.295dev --pvr

... which is what I would have used to set the thing going.

The particular source of confusion here is that you are misusing the
'--pvr-add' switch in the first command, which creates an all-time (until it
is manually deleted) PVR job; to create a once-off pvr job use '--pvr-queue'
which automatically adds the 'ONCE' prefix mentioned above, and thus makes
everything work.

[Answering out this point of order for the sake of logical flow]
>     Just to be clear on this, the "--pid-recursive" switch together with a
>     brand or series PID was designed to only work with the CLI,
>     not the WebPVRManager GUI (it doesn't) nor the PVR function of GiP
>     (it doesn't by default).

It does, as above, just read the help output for how to use it properly!
(What I don't think would work would be to use '--pid-recursive' without a
corresponding series '--pid xxxxxxxx' parameter, say with a text search
parameter instead, which would not be entirely surprising, but that doesn't
seem to have been the problem here.)

So, to give an example which I've recently used and which therefore I know
works (except that, for the first of these, no doubt thanks to the BBC's
neglect of the associated metadata, the episode numbers and names aren't
being populated  -  I'm having to rename appropriately each newly downloaded
episode of it in the morning; the second example is working fine):

For 'The Hollow Crown' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00s90hz), I gave
the parameters:
	--type tv --tvmode flashhd,hlshd,flashvhigh,hlsvhigh --pid-recursive --pid
p00s90hz --file-prefix "Hollow Crown, The - <episodenum>
<episodeshort>" --pvr-queue

For 'A History Of Ancient Britain'
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xchyf):
	--type tv --tvmode flashhd,hlshd,flashvhigh,hlsvhigh --pid-recursive --pid
b00xchyf --file-prefix "History Of Ancient Britain, A - <episodenum>
<episodeshort>" --pvr-queue

Together with other similar commands and the permanent PVR searches I now
have in my pvr sub-directory (note that <path> in the following is standing
in for the path to the GiP directory, here, on a Linux-based Zyxel NAS,
/opt/share/get_iplayer)

	~ # ls -1 <path>/pvr
	ONCE_b00bb3wt
	ONCE_b00xchyf
	ONCE_b0797yqk
	ONCE_p00s90hz
	~ # cat <path>/pvr/ONCE_b00xchyf
	fileprefix History Of Ancient Britain, A - <episodenum> <episodeshort>
	pid b00xchyf
	pidrecursive 1
	tvmode flashhd,hlshd,flashvhigh,hlsvhigh
	type tv
	~ # cat <path>/pvr/ONCE_p00s90hz
	fileprefix Hollow Crown, The - <episodenum> <episodeshort>
	pid p00s90hz
	pidrecursive 1
	tvmode flashhd,hlshd,flashvhigh,hlsvhigh
	type tv

Subsequently a GiP command with the single parameter ...
	--pvr
... will run through the above and any other PVR jobs that have been set up,
seemingly in alphabetical order.  However, in fact my PVR downloads happen
overnight with a cron job:

	cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
	# Run GetIPlayer pvr once a day at midnight
	0 0 * * * source /etc/profile; /opt/bin/perl
<path>/get_iplayer.295dev --pvr > <path>/get_iplayer.log 2>&1

If something appears to have gone wrong overnight, I can check for errors
with:

	cat <path>/get_iplayer.log

When a download prefixed with ONCE is completed, in the case of a series
when the last episode is successfully downloaded, the appropriate PVR job is
automatically deleted from the pvr sub-directory.  It all seems to work very
well.

>     > I would rather have "brand" PIDs in the PVR
>     > than name matches for a lot of what I download.
>     > If they all have to start with ONCE, I can deal with that.

See above for how to achieve this.