I deleted my preferences file - re-created it and have a Tele problem

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Apr 20 15:32:04 PDT 2016

On Wed Apr 20 21:29:22 BST 2016, Clive wrote:

> I stupidly cleared my preferences file

... you mean the "user" options file

(on Windows found in "%USERPROFILE%\.get_iplayer\options",
on Linux you should know better than I, possibly in
usr/.get_iplayer/options)

> tried to recreate it

... from memory?

> but tele fails with what appears to be an rtmpdump error.
> (snip)
> My prefs file is:
> (snip)
> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/releases/iplayer/revisions/617463_618125_4/617463_618125_4_emp.swf)
> (snip)
> rtmptvopts --swfVfy

... The "errors" GiP prints are pretty self-explanatory:

> /usr/bin/rtmpdump: option '--swfVfy' requires an argument

This refers to the existence of line:
rtmptvopts --swfVfy
inside your user options file

> unknown option: ?

That one refers to the existence of line:
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/releases/iplayer/revisions/617463_618125_4/617463_618125_4_emp.swf)
inside your user options file

Remedy =>
Manually edit your user options file and remove both mentioned lines.
Then try tv anew. If flash tvmodes still fail with the default SWF URL
provided in vanilla 2.94 GiP script:
http://emp.bbci.co.uk/emp/SMPf/1.11.16/StandardMediaPlayerChromelessFlash.swf
then, using the CLI, add the latest SWF URL like that:

get_iplayer --rtmp-tv-opts="--swfVfy
http://emp.bbci.co.uk/emp/SMPf/1.15.9/StandardMediaPlayerChromelessFlash.swf" -
-prefs-add

You should be good to go...
(... and another tip: If flash tvmodes fail for whatever reason,
you can always resort to the hls tvmodes!)

 For other queries specific to your non-Windows OS,
I'm sure other list members can chime in...

Regards,
V.