Receiving a "You have been unsubscribed" email when not actually unsubscribing

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 02:15:15 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 07:44:00AM +0100, SB wrote:
[...]
> Same, yesterday I found myself un-subscribed. I've no idea why. Perhaps the
> e-mail system has been hacked.

Many people claim that their email has been hacked, but it's actually pretty
rare. Competent hackers don't leave a trace; see the rather good write-up of
how Hacking Team was itself compromised for how it's done. Human error is the
usual cause of things going visibly pear-shaped.

A "you have been unsubcribed" email from a mailing list usually means that list
mail is bouncing, and the email usually explains the reason. You would normally
ask your mail admin to look into this, but good luck getting Google to care.

The likely reason Google is bouncing some list mail is that a few spams have
been forwarded to list subscribers, and that's given the list itself a lower
score.