Request for BBC Contact - OT

d.lake at surrey.ac.uk d.lake at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 01:51:19 PDT 2016

Jim/George

Yes - we should aim our ire at the US companies which control not just the content, but the means of distribution in many cases (e.g. Comcast who own both DirecTV and NBCUniversal giving them absolute right over broadband, cable, satellite, content distribution and studios - if that isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is).   No point taking that to the US government because the US system is funded by donations from companies such as Comcast (other media interests exist).

I did manage to question a BBC source as to why the US iPlayer was such a failure and I was told that it was because the large media companies threatened to stop buying Beeb's content if they challenged them in distribution.

Jim - I wholeheartedly agree with you that the EU has been a hugely moderating force on controlling aspects; would we have the soon-to-be-enacted levelling of roaming charges across the EU if left to "market forces ?!" Doubt it very much...  So, yes; open-data, open-services and access based on fairness.

Of course, these notions are anathema in the US; it is not a country built on the concept of fair-play as we have in the UK or across the EU.  It is built on ruthless competition, and, quite frankly, I think an organisation like the BBC are simply out-done trying to play in that environment.

What SHOULD have happened was that the BBC should have told the US media interests where to get-off when they were threatened - however, being a non-US organisation, they knew that the massive political pressure from these corporations would have always swung the pendulum in the favour of the US, not the non-US company.

I also think that as Brits, we are terribly bad at publicising ourselves.  Much of our technology is years if not decades ahead of the US in terms of broadcast but you'd never know it unless you were a user.   Again, as UK PLC we've missed a trick in selling the technology to the world - we simply don't understand what value we have....

Ho hum.