Level3 CDN issue affecting RTMP HD downloads

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 09:39:33 PDT 2015

In article
<trinity-45c3b480-fa56-4752-a49c-ff1af36bcdcf-1441897804519 at 3capp-mailcom-bs13>,
   tellyaddict <tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> > 2) That limelight now seems not to serve 1280x720. So if I keep
> > excluding akamai I can only get 832x468... But if I include akamai I
> > usually now get the very familiar symptom (1).

> I dont think Limelight has never served HD content.

Sorry, I'm not certain what you meant. Did you mean to say "I don't think
limelight has *ever* served HD content"? Or are you saying it has served it
in the past, but not now? Or?...

> Akamai does both SD and HD and Level3 (the problem server) does HD and
> Limelight does SD.

So when I've been excluding akamai and getting 1280x720 my stream has been
coming direct from Level3?

> > I did try HLS but it was hopelessly slooooow. Not really usable, but
> > I've still not upgraded from 2.93 to 2.94 to see if that speeds up
> > HLS. And am wondering if I should simply await 2.95 which I hope will
> > deal with the above. Fingers crossed! :-)

> Don't think it will make any difference to you. HLS is slowed that RTMP
> but is still a good speed.

I got about 1/3rd of real time rate. i.e. it would take about three hours
to fetch an entire 1 hour 1280x720 program. Are you saying that is a "good
speed"? Or are you saying the slooow rate I got was anomalous and I should
try again a few times to see if I was 'unlucky' when I tested this?

> 2.93 and 2.94 are the same except for a fix for a few live streams.
> Nothing changed with HLS.

OK, that's useful. It means I can focus on the other issues above and not
worry about my currently using 2.93.

Thanks,

Jim