Level3 CDN issue affecting RTMP HD downloads

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 09:38:22 PDT 2015

In article <20150909144518.344f80b7 at puffindesk>, SquarePenguin
<getiplayer at squarepenguin.co.uk> wrote:

> A resolution workaround has been identified by dinkypumpkin[2].

I just tried using tvmode=hlsbest.

It did work, but the fetch ran at only about 8 frames per second. i.e. it
would have taken me about three hours to get a 1 hour program! A wee bit
slow methinks!

I then tried simply running as per normal without excluding akamai. As I'd
expected this failed. But when I tried again a minute later it started
fetching at about x10 real time rate. So about 5-10 mins for 1 hour
program.

In both cases I am getting 1280x720 for my test target file.

Should we expect hls to be that slow compared with rtmp, or is this a
weakness of 2.93 and I should try 2.94? Been distracted today so not yet
changed to 2.94 as I wanted.

Jim