How To Download Live TV?

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 02:53:31 PDT 2015

On the died PC, Windows 2000 restored (easy) and now Linux substantially
restored, Windows 7 also partly done (opted for a reinstallation there as
well).

As a result have solved this puzzle, partially at least, on Linux.
Basically, you need installed either x264, seems to be generally preferred,
or openh264, which personally I thought gave marginally less unwatchable
results, (and the appropriate -dev package containing the headers), and to
compile ffmpeg with either the --enable-libx264 or the --enable-libopenh264
switch as appropriate.  See also below ...

Also have GFV working again, but still have not discovered how to record
live ITV streams.

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

>     Can anyone help me with the following problems trying to
>     download BBC Two live, preferably from the start of the
>	current programme?

The following now 'works', in the sense that a recording was made, but it
was totally unwatchable.  I presume the piss-poor broadband speeds up here
just cannot deliver.  However, I did notice that the CPU was maxed out
almost constantly, so perhaps before making a definitive statement I need to
prune the ever-expanding bloatware that these days seems to infest Linux
almost as badly as Windows.

>     ~ # gip --type=livetv "BBC Two" -g

The following still does NOT work, so there seems to no way to go back to
the beginning of the current programme, unless someone else here can figure
out how ...