BBC iPlayer cracks down and blocks VPN users

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 03:57:04 PDT 2015

On 09/10/15 11:33, George Eycott wrote:
> Although get_iplayer is not intended to bypass geographical restrictions,
> the news does explain why some people are getting the error messages that
> they have been seeing (bear in mind some people may be using a VPN from
> within the UK). They may have thought it was a get_iplayer issue whereas in
> fact it isn't, I see it as a helpful bit of information myself... It is far
> more on topic than some of the emails that have been sent through here about
> web design!

So the point here is what. I pay the BBC license fee and am happy to do so.

If people outside of UK who do not pay the license fee are getting BBC
content for nothing via a VPN or anything else they are stealing stuff I
pay for.

The BBC and all who support it are right to take action to preserve the
service for those who pay for it. There are enough threats to the BBC as
it is.

If using a VPN in UK is blocking GIP or iPlayer or anything else surely
the solution is in the configuration of the VPN ?