[OT-ish]BBC Three to move online from February

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Thu Nov 26 16:48:07 PST 2015

On 27/11/2015 01:11, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34932688
>
> This, of course, had been announced already, but I wonder what
> implications (if any) would that have to GiP BBC Three downloads; if
> online becomes the only way to watch, I suspect the CDN servers will
> be far more busy than now, possibly resulting in reduced download speeds.

I suspect the majority of the target audience watches online anyway on a
phone or a tablet, so I'd hazard a bet it probably won't make that much
difference. Indeed I seem to recall the reason that broadcast BBC Three
was chosen for the chop was for that very reason.

There's no bigger advocate of the online revolution than myself but even
if I watch something online it's rarely on anything other than a large
monitor (except when I'm in the Philippines, like right now, when it's
on a 17inch laptop). I really can't be faffing around with small
controls on a small screen but I recognise I'm part of the dinosaur
generation, as none of the youngsters I know watches TV, everything is
done on the small screen.

Alan