GIP on Western Digital MyCloud

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Nov 17 09:45:47 PST 2015

On 15 November 2015 at 12:48, hdr.partridge <hdr.partridge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes RPi does seem a much smarter idea and I even have one lying around which I can use - thanks to both of you for your responses!

using a pi is certainly easier, and there's a repository available for
it as well (see
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/raspbian).

I'd point out that in the past many people have had problems with
downloading programmes directly onto network drives - it's usually
worked better if you download to local storage, and then move the
files after download.  you can use the command option to help with
this.  ask if you need help :-)

I've previously managed to get get-iplayer working on a dlink dns-323
nas box, though never really to the point where I was happy that it
was maintainable.  The real challenge was getting rtmpdump,
AtomicParsley and ffmpeg to work.  The perl bit was relatively easy.
So if you (or anyone else) ever go back to trying to build things for
the NAS (and it's not a bad idea) I'd suggest starting with building
ffmpeg.

cheers
jon