BBC Global iPlayer to close in June

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu May 14 15:23:51 PDT 2015

On Thu May 14 22:24:05 BST 2015, CJB wrote:

> The BBC has confirmed the "global" version of its iPlayer
> on-demand service will close next month.

 Err...obviously this bears little relevance to get-iplayer,
but if I am allowed to continue on this OT trend, I find
substantially more important the following article:

"EU wants iPlayer access extended across Europe"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32607246

[quote]
 EU officials want the public to be able to continue using catch-up
services, such as the BBC's iPlayer and Sky's Now TV, as they travel across
Europe. The proposal is part of a wider-ranging European Commission
initiative for a "digital single market". The measure affecting internet
catch-up services would become possible thanks to a pledge to reduce the
differences between national copyright laws.
"The Commission wants to ensure that users who buy films, music or articles
at home can also enjoy them while travelling across Europe," it said in a
statement. "The Commission will also look at the role of online
intermediaries in relation to copyright-protected works. "[And there will
be] a review of the Satellite and Cable Directive to assess if its scope
needs to be enlarged to broadcasters' online transmissions and to explore
how to boost cross-border access to broadcasters' services in Europe," the
Commission added.
 The BBC confirmed it would look into the possibility of easing its iPlayer
restrictions. "We note the Commission's interest in making services more
portable to UK users while temporarily travelling in Europe, and will begin
work to look at the technical and legislative implications," said a
spokesman.

[/quote]

 If I'm reading this right, it would only impact
(when implemented sometime in the... distant future!)
UK citizens when being outside the UK but inside the EU
- because the article's title is somewhat misleading at first,
implying that all EU citizens could watch iPlayer TV content...
But until that new initiative goes into force,
the UK may have well stepped out from the EU already...

Cheers,
V.