Downloads hanging

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed May 13 08:06:04 PDT 2015

On Wed May 13 09:27:37 BST 2015, Jed Robbins wrote:

> In the last few weeks my downloads have stopped working.
> Get_iplayer seems to connect but then nothing happens i.e.
> get_iplayer 2.92-ppa22,
> RTMPDump v2.4-n87-gita9f353c-ppa8~saucy
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> Connecting ...
>
> This happens for tv and radio
> and on both linux and windows.

Hello Jed :-)
Win32 user here, so can't offer much help
with regards to your Linux(-ish) installation,
but since your issue is not OS specific,
I would hazard a guess that something's
gone awry recently in your network settings...
Have you changed anything in your modem/router?
Are you behind a hardware/software firewall?
Maybe using a VPN?
Internet Security software mis-configured?

Is your Windows GiP also the latest, i.e. 2.92?
If yes, please try a download (e.g. radio) command
asking for a flashmode and add the --verbose
(or even ----debug) switch; then focus (and maybe post)
on that part of the log where rtmpdump
attempts to connect...
Default rtmpport is 1935, so it must be open
in your network.
Open in a browser this URL:
http://www.therealtimeweb.com/index.cfm/2004/10/2/fms-port-tester
If port 1935 does not pass the test,
and 443/80 do, then repeat the GiP
command by adding --rtmpport 443 (or 80).

As far as Jon Davies' suggestion goes,
in 2.92 there's a new option that allows
for a more precise way of connecting to a
particular CDN:
--exclude-supplier
In the UK, the default CDN is usually Akamai;
If your issue is, as suggested, caused
by the inability of rtmpdump to connect to a
specific CDN (you first have to explore the
rtmpports matter, then use your verbose log to
identify the problematic CDN), you can add

--exclude-supplier akamai

and let GiP try an alternate CDN, like Limelight.

It appears, from what you posted, that GiP
does have HTTP access; in theory, the HLS
modes (streamed over HTTP) should work;
please try:

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid b05tl3jk --modes=hlsaac  --force

(requires ffmpeg/avconv installed).
This fetches hlsaacstd1 version from a UK IP
(trying to fetch the hlsaaclow1 version from a
UK or overseas IP - the default here - returns a

[http @ 0411cdc0] HTTP error 404 Not Found
[hls,applehttp @ 040f5360] Failed to open segment of playlist 0
... Server returned 404 Not Found

Probably a beeb issue...)

Until you figure out the rtmpdump connection failures,
hlsmodes SHOULD  provide an interim solution;
they take much longer to complete though
and no HD for TV...

HTH,
Vangelis.