Large downloads slowing/stopping as they progress

Nick Payne nick.payne at internode.on.net
Thu May 7 19:58:56 PDT 2015

I've been downloading parts of the World Snooker Championship coverage.
Some of the files are quite large - four hours long and over 4Gb if
downloaded as HD. I've noticed (this happens with 2.92 on both Linux and
Windows) that as the downloads progress they get slower and slower, and
quite a number of the downloads of 120 minutes or more eventually come
to a complete halt, without any error message being displayed. If I stop
the download at that point and start it again it won't resume
successfully (loops continually with the message "Command exit code 1
(raw code = 256)" and I have to start it again from the beginning.

I've found the best way to download these large files is to run the
downloads in a Linux VM and periodically reboot the VM when the download
slows but while it is still progressing. When the VM has finished
rebooting I restart the download and it successfully resumes at normal
speed from the point at which it was when the VM was rebooted.

I don't experience these problems with the usual 30min / 1hr programs
that I download.

Nick