Seedbox & GiP

Peter S Kirk peter.kirk at isauk.biz
Thu Mar 26 15:39:58 PDT 2015

On 26 Mar 2015 at 12:58, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> > Peter Kirk wrote:
> > I was not aware of that, I often wondered why OVH is there when UK has
> > bigger "pipes", that explains it.
>
> Much of the UK's Internet infrastructure is concentrated in data centres and other hastily-erected barns in both
> Docklands and even more expensive parts of the capital, with bits of wet string trailing out to the rest of the
> country... I think this basically comes from London-centricism plus an artefact of BT
> pricing in the mid-90s making it not cost-effective for ISPs to build-out regional infrastructure.

I agree with the "most" and that's about it. London has most because of
demand for fast speeds from the financial sector. Thus multiple carriers
built infrastructure to London. Edinburgh does not rely on "wet string" for
similar reasons: financial sector and academic sector. Even way back in the
late '80s Cable&Wireless was installing fibre in central Edinburgh fed from
trunks laid along the East Coast rail line.

Edinburgh-London is the highest air passenger number route in UK and has:

Multiple Tier 1 Carriers inc BT, Level3, Liberty and Vodafone-
Cable&Wireless

Multiple >=10Gbit/s circuits between various academic sites. Edinburgh was
one of the pioneers of Janet & SuperJanet which I used in mid '80s

Multiple Tier 3 datacentres

UK's fastest supercomputer and highest ITC spend per capita

If there is a sufficient demand for fibre bandwidth, carriers will provide
it as that is how they make money.

Cheers,

Peter
Free £10 ebay voucher. Join ebay as a new user, make a purchase for £5 or
more (exc postage) using Paypal before 13 April 2015 and receive a £10
Paypal voucher off your next ebay purchase of £15 or more (exc postage).
Click: http://invite.ebay.co.uk/i/l4bY6e4f1l95

http://invite.ebay.co.uk/faq/welcome
http://invite.ebay.co.uk/tc/welcome