Seedbox & GiP

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Mar 26 08:02:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:58:35PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

> Much of the UK's Internet infrastructure is concentrated in data centres and other hastily-erected barns in both Docklands and even more expensive parts of the capital, with bits of wet string trailing out to the rest of the country. So you can either have punitive server rental with virtually free bandwidth, or cheap rental out in the sticks but with eye-watering per-byte charges. I think this basically comes from London-centricism plus an artefact of BT pricing in the mid-90s making it not cost-effective for ISPs to build-out regional infrastructure.

I'm far more inclined to blame BT than any London-centrism. And note
that this is changing now. I think the machine I'm sending this from is
out in the sticks in York, for example, having started in London, then
moved to Manchester, and finally to York.

> > Reason VPS is in Holland is price: initially Euro 30 pa, now discounted.
> The Dutch love a bargain, but that price can't possibly be sustainable.

For a very small VPS running on over-subscribed hardware it might be.
And it's not like that would matter if you just use it for occasional
torrenting and the like. So your torrent downloads a bit slower. Big
deal.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

    Vegetarian: n: a person who, due to malnutrition caused by
      poor lifestyle choices, is eight times more likely to
      catch TB than a normal person