BBC Archive - Great Egg race download problems

Jimmy Aitken jimmy.aitken at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:02:10 PDT 2015

Hi,
I've been trying to work out how to download episodes of the Great Egg
Race from the BBC archive site.  I'm actually just wanting to watch
them, to be honest, but not on a desktop and the episodes seem to be
only on Flash, so mobile devices don't play them.

Specifically http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10801.shtml
and using get_player (2.91) on OS X Yosemite gives:

$ get_iplayer --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10801.shtml
INFO: Trying pid:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10801.shtml using type: tv
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
Matches:

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
ERROR: Failed to get version pid metadata from iplayer site
INFO: Trying pid:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10801.shtml using type:
radio
INFO: Trying to stream pid using type radio
INFO: pid not found in radio cache
Matches:

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
ERROR: Failed to get version pid metadata from iplayer site

If anyone can point me to how I can do this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Jimmy