Can't get Episode 3 of "The Art of Germany"

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Sun Jun 28 23:31:37 PDT 2015

On 25/06/2015 13:10, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
> On 25/06/2015 12:56, tellyaddict wrote:
>>> You can watch it fine by starting from the link on here
>>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wlrzx
>>>
>>> But the PVR failed to download it (it got the first two episodes OK)
>>> and
>>> when I tried from the command line - I got this:
>>>
>>> andrew at andrewhome:~$ get_iplayer --PID b00wlrzx --tvmode=best --force
>>> get_iplayer 2.94-ppa23, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>>>     This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
>>> --warranty.
>>>     This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
>>> certain
>>>     conditions; use --conditions for details.
>>>
>>> INFO: Episode-only pid detected
>>> INFO: Trying pid: b00wlrzx using type: tv
>>> INFO: Trying to stream pid using type tv
>>> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
>>> Matches:
>>>
>>> INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
>>> WARNING: The 'default' programme version could not be determined
>>> WARNING: No programme versions found
>>> WARNING: You may receive this message if you are using get_iplayer
>>> outside the UK
>> I've just tried it and it has downloaded fine for me from the command
>> line.

Further to this post, I've noticed the same error message coming up a
number of times with a variety of programmes over this weekend, one such
example was "Sunday Politics North West". The BBC iPlayer website was
showing the programme as "Not Available" even late into yesterday
evening, long after the programme broadcast time of late morning. This
morning, however, the iPlayer website shows the programme as available
and get_iplayer downloads it fine. However, there are a number of
programmes from yesterday which are still not available, an unusual
delay for the Beeb.

It would appear that this type of message appears when there is a delay
by the BBC in making the programme available, so I would recommend
trying again later. The other comment I would make is that I've noticed
that even though a programme sometimes doesn't initially appear in the
cache, it can often be downloaded earlier using the URL.

Alan