No categories in tv.cache file

Mark Carroll mtbc at ixod.org
Sun Jun 28 02:40:29 PDT 2015

"Dave Liquorice" <allsorts at howhill.com> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 03:25:04 +0300, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
>
>> tellyaddict has posted the right answer; to quote from the 2.93-2.94
>> Release Notes
>> (https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release293)
>
> Thank you for the github link. My browser doesn't like the certificate that
> https://squarepenguin.co.uk presents it thinks it is "invalid or corrupted
> error code -8182", squarepenguin is not unique in this but it's not very
> common. My browser, Mozilla 1.7.12 running under OS/2 Warp 3 with Warp 4's
> TCP/IP stack, so not exactly "modern" but it works for the vast majority of
> sites I visit, it's only horrible javascript ridden ones that it has serious
> trouble rendering.

My Firefox 31.7.0 seems perfectly happy with the certificate for that
site, but how much that depends on my having separately installed some
newer certificate authority keys or suchlike I've no idea. It may be
that you can just trust the extra keys but keep your older software.

(snip)
> Lets hope that the BBC open up Nitro is some way, even if it means that each
> GiP user has to get their own key. I can see the rights holders bring a lot
> of pressure on the BBC to NOT open it up. But if each user has to have their
> own key it means that individual use of GiP can be tracked which may keep
> the rights holders off the BBCs back.
(snip)

Quite. I'd be happy to have to provide my television licence number or
somesuch to get that key. Unfortunately, I suspect that the BBC,
especially in wanting to manage customer experience and branding and
suchlike, are rather keen to control /how/ users reach their content
(i.e. preferably through their not-great website), as well as who gets
to see what in the end. There's an awkward tension between the public
service mission and the more corporate / commercial view.

Incidentally, I've now found that there is tons of Radio 4's "In Our
Time" available for download. It's great to be able to save these as an
m4a file for playing in the car on my daily commute.

-- Mark