Random stalling

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Thu Jun 25 15:07:06 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-24 09:53, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> I don't think the following is due to a flaw in gip. But it keeps
> happening
> so I'd like to describe it and invite any comments regarding its cause
> or
> what might be done.
>
> In general I run a small program to do a set of gip fetches each
> morning,
> timed to complete before the 9am 'deadline' when BT start clocking data
> against out 'cap' value. The program simply issues a sequence of
> command
> line fetches using gip. This lets me write a text file which lists the
> pids
> that my program reads and then uses these to issue the fetch commands
> via
> system() one by one.
>
> Most mornings this works fine. But sometimes it doesn't.
>
> The most common symptom is that a command line fetch begins, but then
> halts
> with the progress at  0.0%.  More rarely, it halts after the
> Commencing...

Does your framework issue g_ip commands with --verbose etc specified?
And does it
capture the verbose output?

(I would not be surprised if it didn't, because a while ago I was unable
to make a
script running uner Windows capture output, without interfering with the
way that
G_ip itself captures subcommand results so it can decide if they worked.
  But you
may have been luckier.)

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own