DOS Path

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Jun 21 06:05:35 PDT 2015

On Sun Jun 21 13:14:19 BST 2015, Doug Faunt wrote:

> the last installations of GiP (Windows 8.1, 2.92)

Hello Doug...
Latest version of GiP is 2.94 !

> did not install the proper shortcut, as described below.

Yes, what I described was for Windows versions that
come with a Start Menu; then the GiP shortcuts are found under:
"Start -> All Programs -> get_iplayer" folder.

I do not have a Win8+ system to test, but according to the Wiki

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/winsetup#windows-installer

the installer should've installed in the Windows 8 Start screen
a "Get_iPlayer" tile. I do not know what the installer does
in the "Desktop" mode of Win8+...
 Pay special attention to the Win installer NOTE:

> You must run the installer while logged in
> as a user that has administrator privileges.
> If you are the only user on your PC
> you should already have administrator privileges.
> If you are logged in as a normal user and elevate your privileges
> by signing in as an administrator at the UAC prompt
> or by invoking the installer via "Run as Administrator",
> the menu shortcuts and output directory
> will be installed for the administrator account,
> not the logged-in user.
> (snip)
> If you subsequently run get_iplayer while logged in as a different,
> non-administrator user you will not be able to access
> the output directory configured by the installer.

Just a guess, but maybe the GiP shortcuts aren't
available to you if you are not logged in as admin...
 I believe there exist Win8+ users on this list
who should be able to share their experience with
you in a more helpful manner...

Cheers,
Vangelis.