DOS Path

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Jun 19 11:35:27 PDT 2015

On Fri Jun 19 02:13:01 BST 2015, CJB wrote:

> I'd forgotten that Pearl and other apps also
> would need to be in the PATH.

 Most probably a mere typo, but it actually is Perl; from wikipedia:
> Though Perl is not officially an acronym,
> there are various backronyms in use,
> the most well-known being
> "Practical Extraction and Reporting Language"

If by "other apps" you are referring to the helper apps
GiP uses (rtmpdump, ffmpeg, AP), then I fear it is not
needed for them to be also in the PATH; the main script
knows where to "find" them, so to speak, since their
relative locations are contained in the options file.
My system options file
("C:\ProgramData\get_iplayer\options") contains the
following line:
ffmpeg .\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe
where ".\" in plain English means:
"where the get_iplayer script is located"...

> He can use the Windows PVM OK,
> but for progs later than 7 days
> he needs to use the CML version of GiP.

 Since your friend is in the US, I suspect he
records mainly radio - both radio and TV
programmes older than 7 days generally do not
make it into the respective radio/tv caches - in the
past, "series stacked" episodes broke that rule but
with the 30d availability time frame in place,
"series stacked" was discontinued...
I am not using the WPM at all, just launching it
for list related tests - since your friend is comfortable
only with the Web PVR Manager, why can't he
use it for programmes not in the cache (> 7d old)
via its "Quick URL" feature?

1. Search the BBC iPlayer (Radio) site for
the programme to be recorded - e.g.
record the "Official Chart Update 27/05/2015",
broadcast on BBC Radio 1 on Wed May 27th.
2. Copy the iplayer URL associated with the
episode, i.e.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05w81g3

3. Launch the Web PVR Manager - if the
"BBC TV" box is ticked by default, untick it and
then tick the adjacent "BBC Radio" box (since he is
after a radio programme...) - this step is equivalent
to the CLI switch --type=radio.
4. Paste the copied URL in step 2 onto the empty
"Quick URL" input field and then just hit the
"Record" button just underneath it - this button's
tooltip dictates:
"Immediately Record selected programmes (or Quick URL) in a new tab".
and so is the case: download starts in a new tab,
file is saved in the GiP recordings folder!
Tadah! No CLI used at all...

@SquarePenguin:
In case you are reading this, the Guide at:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/get_iplayer-web-pvr-manager/
could be modified a bit under its "Quick URL" section
to stress the fact the "BBC Radio" square should be
ticked if we are using a "BBC iPlayer audio URL"...

Regards,
Vangelis.