Localhost not starting up ...

CJB chrisjbrady at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:29:47 PDT 2015

I have Windows 7 + Chrome on an Acer Laptop

Things were great yesterday (Thursday) with GiP  v2.94 after a clean
restore but ...

Sadly things today (Friday) have not gone well. Now when I start up
the Windows PVM I get a blank white screen with the following in the
address field.

http://localhost:1935/

The CMD window has:

DEBUG: Command: ".\get_iplayer.cmd" --encoding-locale=UTF-8 --encoding-console-o
ut=UTF-8 --nopurge --nocopyright --showoptions
DEBUG: Command: ".\get_iplayer.cmd" --encoding-locale=UTF-8 --encoding-console-o
ut=UTF-8 --nopurge --nocopyright --showoptions
DEBUG: Command: ".\get_iplayer.cmd" --encoding-locale=UTF-8 --encoding-console-o
ut=UTF-8 --nopurge --nocopyright --listplugins
INFO: Listening on 127.0.0.1:1935

And at the bottom the cryptic message is:

Waiting for localhost....

In the browser tab - Chrome - a progress arrow goes round - slowly -
anti-clockwise. And nothing happens. The PVM page simply refuses to
display.

Yet the browser still connects to email, and browses the web OK.
Indeed I can access just about any page on the web.

I've tried using IE (latest version for Win 7), and copying and
pasting http://localhost:1935/ into the URL address field, and again I
get "Waiting for localhost...." and nothing more.

I've tried closing down the computer and restarting it. Yet as soon as
I click on the PVM icon, and the Command Window gets to "INFO:
Listening on 127.0.0.1:1935" with a new browser tab opened, I still
get nothing and the message "Waiting for localhost...."

This issue has effectively stopped me from downloading everything and anything.

CJB.