Transcoding live streams question

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Jun 4 17:10:52 PDT 2015

On Thu Jun 4 22:37:46 BST 2015, iz wrote:

> I found that I could use
> --hls-livetv-opts="-acodec copy -vcodec copy"
> to override the transcoding.

Hello :-)
This is a most important find!
I haven't really experimented with LiveTV inside GiP,
(I am legally off-limits), the very little tests I conducted
were via standalone FFmpeg commands for "academic"
purposes...
 I am aware of the analogous radio option,
--hls-liveradio-opts
but it only relates to re-muxing, since liveradio (AppleHLS
streams) does not need recoding - so my mind did not go
to "--hls-livetv-opts" which indeed, according to --helplong:

"Add custom options to ffmpeg HLS download encoding for livetv"

But, of course, your FFmpeg binary should support
"-c:v copy -c:a copy" for the LiveTV HLS streams;
have you updated yours manually?

@ John Warburton:
Looks like you won't have to edit the main script manually!

Many cheers, iz!
Vangelis.