My bat_iplayer script now has a problem.

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Jun 3 15:13:47 PDT 2015

On Wed Jun 3 21:34:23 BST 2015, batguano999 wrote:

> Since the recent changes
> (snip)
> it doesn't show the name properly, like this:
> radio_b05wndrq.m4a
> Any suggestions how to modify my script (near line 25)
> to show a descriptive title again ?

 Hello there batguano999 :-)

 As well as removing the "Dynamite" TV listing feeds,
the BBC have extended their magnanimousness by also
blocking the legacy XML playlist URLs, in the form:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/[PID]

Now all such URLs return a 403 Error
(Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /iplayer/playlist/ on this
server.).
 I myself was frequently using those URLs
outside GiP in a browser, because they provided
easy access to programme metadata such as
thumbnail and short description.
 The default until last year, they recently did not
reveal the "vPID" (or "mediator identifier") string
for many OD shows, which is vital for available stream details...
 To answer a question posed by Square Penguin
yesterday on the list:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2015-June/007730.html
it was this blocking of XML playlists that broke
LiveTV & LiveRadio (via AppleHLS) in GiP 2.92!
GiP could not use that template URL to retrieve the vPID
for e.g. --pid=bbc_radio_one, so GiP gave the error described here:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/topic/the-bbc-has-blown-up-live-tv-streaming-no-workaround/

> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=86ue5ETB

Line 28 of your bash script uses the blocked
XML playlist URL - as per my comments above,
this won't get you now the proper prog title :-(
 I do not know bash script language, but what you
can do is change the blocked URL for another one that
sources the prog title; choose and scrape (sed) one
of the three currently working:

JSON playlist URL:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/$PID/playlist.json
XML metadata page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/$PID.xml
RDF metadata page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/$PID.rdf

If it could benefit others, please
post the working version you come up with...

Cheers,
Vangelis.