[Get-iPlayer] Re: Nitro API

g+get_iplayer at cobb.uk.net g+get_iplayer at cobb.uk.net
Wed Jun 3 08:10:16 PDT 2015

On 03/06/15 15:42, Jon Davies wrote:
> On 3 June 2015 at 15:08, Kevin Lynch <klynchk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looking at it in glass half full way maybe the use of the nitro API
>> could be something that's easily incorporated into get_iplayer if the
>> implementation of the API is get_iplayer friendly
>
> The nature of the licensing for Nitro probably makes it unsuitable -
> you need an API key to gain access, and so either that API key would
> be published in the get-iplayer source, and probably abused and then
> disabled, or we'd have to build some server infrastructure between
> get-iplayer and Nitro (the intended approach) - which I can't see
> being viable.

I wouldn't rule out a centralised server approach, if that proved to be
the best model (and permitted by the licence).  For example, the UK Tivo
community contained members willing to fund a centralised server (two,
actually), phone lines and other resources.  In that case, many in the
community would have been happy to pay for the service but the licence
on the source code we were using did not allow it to be used in a
chargeable service.  That arrangement has been going for a while now and
none of the funders have made any noises about pulling out yet -- many
thanks to them for their continued support, of course!

By all means consider the alternatives first, but a centralised server
might be possible if it became necessary.

Graham