Nitro API

David Lake David.Lake at mail.bcu.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 08:02:23 PDT 2015

The idea of an API key is fine - the fact that Beeb has limited it to "commercial operators" and "BBC Employees only" is not.

I can freely and openly get an API key for a myriad of other services just by signing up; it is used as a method for opening up access.  Beeb are using it as a method of closing-down/controlling access.

I DO understand why - the Beeb have just been through a bruising experience with the US media and their deep/selfish pockets.   Although no-one will publicly say this, Global iPlayer failed because they were unable to launch in their target market which was the US, because the US networks were concerned about competition from Auntie.    I suspect that Nitro was an attempt to control IPR - something US companies are obsessed with.

So in the case of an open-API to, say Google, you have to ask who benefits more - you or Google ?  The answer is obviously Google as they attract a lot more data that they can then sell-on.    Not the case here.

So we're tied-up with rights-holders who are protecting their patch and Beeb caught-in-the-middle.  It's a nasty, commercial media landscape.