Live TV not working

John Warburton john at johnwarburton.com
Tue Jun 2 13:49:34 PDT 2015

I've never looked into the BBC streams before, but saw that there was
a tool called AdobeHDS.php -- which you probably know about.

https://github.com/K-S-V/Scripts/wiki

After I used URLSnooper2 to look at the f4m manifest for BBC News 24
my browser was getting, the AdobeHDS script took that manifest and
immediately piped the live stream to the MPV player, this evening:

 > AdobeHDS.php --manifest
http://vs-hds-uk-live.bbcfmt.vo.llnwd.net/pool_5/live/bbc_news_channel_hd/bbc_news_channel_hd.isml/bbc_news_channel_hd-audio_2%3D96000-video%3D1374000.f4m
--play | mpv -

So BBC live streaming is working for me in that way, tonight.

I use external players such as mpv because they allow hardware
acceleration on my rather ageing Intel video chip, which my browser's
Flash player does not.

One other little thing: because mpv is fairly tolerant of the input, I
always edit the get_iplayer.pl script to take out all transcoding (to
mpeg2video) on live streams. This feels rather rude of me, to alter
such good code: perhaps there is a command-line switch I have not
noticed?