Bit rate from --aactomp3

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 01:17:47 PDT 2015

In article <EC2BDF4A6709483381C0695921963269 at vasonote>, Vangelis
forthnet
<northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> wrote:
> [Slightly OT content!]

> On Sun May 31 17:16:28 BST 2015, Jim web wrote:

> > when I have had to transcode aac or mp3 I convert it to LPCM (wave)
> > or flac so I'm losing as little as possible. In effect the result
> > sounds like the source. Has its flaws, but without additional damage.

> Could be highly impracticle though, at times... :-{ I do own an old and
> cheap portable audio player, that can only cope with MP3 (has to be
> CBR), WMA & WAV; its internal Flash Memory is only 1GB, its write
> speed barely borders 1MBps.

Understood. :-/

FWIW I did try a 'net radio' a few years ago. One of the brand-name
'badged' ones with a well known name on the front that tries to present
itself to the user as a 'radio'. I found it a PITA to use for various
reasons. I don't have any 'portable' music players because again, some
years ago I simply wasn't interested in any of them.

In my case I tend to want to sit and listen carefully. Poor sound tends to
irritate me enough to switch off the audio unless the message is vital.

Things are different now because some very high quality portable devices
are available. (At a price!) But I still prefer speakers to headphones for
listening - unless I'm editing something and need to focus on details like
tiny clicks rather than the music.

I'm wary of 'net radios' 'streamers' etc for the reasons the recent Audio
Factory changes demonstrate. That the end user tends to lose control of
being able to go on listening, or being able to get the quality they want.
When you buy a net radio, etc, your only contract is with the retailer. Not
the BBC, not the maker, not any 'service aggrigator', etc. Its *not* a
radio. Unless and until the law and practice catches up with this offloaded
responsibility I'm inclined to avoid such devices.

The practical problem, of course, is that this is a council of perfection,
and in the real world people find net radios, streamers, portable devices,
etc, very handy. So it makes sense to buy and use them. But I guess we have
to accept that any such device has inbuilt 'planned obsolencence' and may
need replacing in little more than a few years.

Internet 'broadcasting' is an area where things are rapidly developing, and
that means changes are inevitable as well as sometimes impossible to
predict accurately in advance.

Years ago whenever I bought a new LP in the shop I used to plan what time I
could return in a few days because it was (almost always) faulty.
(Pressings were lousy back then.) Maybe when people buy devices like net
radios, etc, now, they should have this in mind, but with a slightly longer
and vaguer timescale!

Jim